22 June 2006

Strange and hilarious

Fresh Air is one of my favorite radio shows. Terry Gross, the host, is a fantastic interviewer. She could interview someone who works with worms and it would be interesting.

Last night one of her guests was Amy Sedaris. It was a great interview. Like her brother, writer David Sedaris* (Naked, Me Talk Pretty One Day), she is strange and hilarious. Her movie "Strangers with Candy," opens soon. Here are a few interesting bits from Amy Sedaris' interview on Fresh Air.
  • She gave the wardrobe person on "Strangers with Candy" a lot of latitude with her character's look. "For wardrobe I just told Vicky Farrell, who did the wardrobe, that I owned a snake. That's all I ever told her."
  • She loves disguises. "I get a wig every Christmas, still."
  • "I always sell stuff at my parties." When she has people over she sets up a kind of tag sale on a table in her apartment. She'll sell things like almost used-up lotion, sponges, books she's already read, etc. Everything is 25 cents and guests must pay with a quarter (not two dimes and a nickel, no change from a dollar).
*In the David Sedaris interview, the weirdest and funniest part is about half way through (approximately 11:30). He talks about his new fascination with spiders.

No comments: