29 June 2006

Dry humor, thy name is Calvin Trillin

Calvin Trillin was in town a little while back. I'm not a big poetry fan but his poems, many of them snarky takes on the current administration, are very fun. Take a listen.

He is the deadline poet for The Nation. He makes fun of politicans and their foibles in a most clever way. For example, he called to Steve Forbes, when Forbes was running for president, as a dork robot. He also referred to Al Gore as a man-like object.

Here's one of his poems from a recent edition of The Nation.

Some Perspective
Calvin Trillin

We're making progress in Iraq. Bush sings, "Tra-la-la-la, we
Have killed Al Qaeda in Iraq's most vicious thug, Zarqawi."
Some skeptics, though, insist on giving this a different twist:
Before this war, Al Qaeda in Iraq did not exist.

1 comment:

rigtenzin said...

I didn't know Calvin was a poet. I'll take a closer look. I've had a dream to write political poetry. My attempts are still just in my head.