11 June 2006

I love ESPN2

I never thought I'd writing something positive about ESPN -- or anything about ESPN for that matter. But on Friday, they broadcast the first game of the World Cup -- Germany vs. Costa Rica. I took the day off to clean the carpet (wee! good times), so I got to enjoy the game.

The game, particularly the first half, was fabulous! I was on the edge of my seat. It was such fun to watch such great athletes play so skillfully (although what was with the gaping hole in the German defense?).

There were an estimated 1.5 billion people around the world tuned into the openiong game. Everyone in Costa Rica had the day off so they could watch. Miroslav Klose, Germany, scored two goals and it was also his birthday. It will be a brithday hard to top, I think.

There was a very cute Adidas commercial on several times during the game. In it two Italian boys are choosing up their dream soccer team for a game in a vacant lot. All the players were current, famous players. Then the littler boy said, "Beckenbauer." The older kid said the name and laughed like 'Who's that?' Then out trots a video image of Franz Beckenbauer from the '70s. It was very cute.

4 comments:

Julia said...

Ja! What a game! We wanna become Weltmeister! :)
Well, dreams aren't a crime. ;)

Sophzilla said...

Do you get to see any of the games in person? Oh, how lovely that would be!

Eclectchick said...

Cyclists still have the best gams. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Julia said...

My husband has a sponsor ticket for Argentina - Netherlands. He tried to get one for me, but no chance.
The problem with the tickets is that you had to sign up very early not knowing if you would get any and for which game. So we decided to watch at home.
But I can tell you the mood everywhere is incredible. I work in Frankfurt where some of the games take place and it's just great.
Everybody is having a good time. This world cup should never end;)
They installed a big swimming screen in the middle of the river Main where they show the games for people without tickets and there are lots of other public viewing places.