21 June 2006

Simple pleasures

Today I indulged in a simple pleasure. I bought office supplies. I just love pens, notebooks, planners, paper. I don't have to necessarily buy these things. I just love to look at and touch them. Last summer on vacation my friends thought it odd that I wanted to go into an office supply store in Switzerland. Did I need office supplies on vacation? No. But did I want to peruse the options? Yes!

The best office supply store I've been in was W.H. Smith in the UK. It was like a candy store. We don't have W.H. Smith here -- except for lame attempts at airports and hotels. Office Depot, you are no W.H. Smith. But you'll do, for now.

6 comments:

rigtenzin said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
rigtenzin said...

I love office supplies also. When I worked in downtown Minneapolis, I found a little office-supply store that had a beautiful selection of pens. I bought a set of Parkers. I loved to browse in that place. I think fresh office supplies represent the potential for good work -- like writing for instance.

I haven't produced any yet, but a trip to the office supply store makes me a believer every time.

The store is out of business, by the way.

Sophzilla said...

Maybe that's it -- the promise of beautiful writing. The next time you're in the UK you'll have to try W.H. Smith. Shudder. It's lovely.

Anonymous said...

Why was the comment deleted? Power to the people!

rigtenzin said...

I deleted my own comment right after posting it. My comment didn't make sense, because I hadn't proofed it before posting.

The comment I intended to leave may not make sense either.

Eclectchick said...

Look at Sophie! She wants to create ART - or would it be ARF?