14 June 2006

Flare trouble

This sounds like something that would happen in the U.S. not in Europe! No, you can't take your fingernail clippers on the plane but flares in a stadium? As many as you can carry!
Fan on field exposes flaws in security net
By JOHN PYE, AP Sports Writer June 14, 2006 BERLIN (AP) -- World Cup organizers will upgrade security at Berlin's Olympic Stadium after fans set off flares and one man ran onto the field during Brazil's opening win over Croatia.

Security staff confiscated 823 flares from spectators before Tuesday night's match and stopped three fans trying to get onto the field. But it was the two flares and one man that slipped through the security net that attracted all the attention.

7 comments:

Eclectchick said...

Two words: Whoopsy doodle.

Julia said...

I have seen this game and have to say that one kroatian player reacted totally cool when the fan appeared on the field. He went right to him, embraced him and guided him off the field where security received him.
And by the way: WE HAVE WON TONiGHT!!!
Even in our little town you can still hear singing people and hooting cars passing by. And it's 0.50 in the night!

Sophzilla said...

What great sportsmanship!

Congratulations on your second win! The noise in your town reminds me of a train ride from the west of Wales to Cardiff. It was the day of the Scotland-Wales rugby final. The train literally rocked along the tracks all the way to Cardiff!

I wish the WM games weren't in the middle of the day here. I could tape the games and view later but I can never keep my curiosity in check. I always check the outcomes online. Once I know who won, a good deal of the thrill of watching is gone.

Eclectchick said...

I'm the same way with the Tour de France. The last few years I've watched the live feed (written) during the morning. I couldn' stand not knowing how Lance was doing.

This year, since I don't have to worry about Mr. Armstrong, I may just suspend the suspense and wait to watch it every night. We'll see if I can stand it.

Julia said...

The game really was a thriller but of course it's not the same if you already know the result.
I'm happy that our team always played later because when the first game starts I'm still at work.

Sophzilla said...

I don't know about your workplace, but here I think they'd frown at a television on my desk!

Julia said...

Well, we have one in the lounge. But usually we spend the whole day in the operation room.