29 July 2006

Weird hobbies

I was listening to Weekend America today. They feature news items but also things you won't hear about anywhere else. Today there was a very odd, to me, hobby: collecting and transforming Barbie dolls.

The guy featured in the story, Jim Faraone, wasn’t as weird as you’d think. His source of income is making over and selling dolls. He’s written books about it and teaches classes on it. The story was very interesting as well as, seeing as I’m not into dolls, quite freaky. I have to hand it to him though. He’s quite talented. How he has the patience to work on such tiny items of haute couture is beyond me. Take a look or listen to the amusing story.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There was a story in THE ADVOCATE eleven years ago about gay men who collect Barbie dolls.

One man described going to the national convention and women would mock him. He smiled ever-so-sweetly and said, "Honey, while you spent the household budget on your hubby's underwear, foot powder, pickled pig's feet and beer, I got the whole year's Barbie wardrobe."

Sophzilla said...

Good comeback!