28 July 2006

Speak English, please

I was in a meeting with co-workers the other day. One of the people in the meeting kept using phrases like this: the metanarrative of the dialectic. I am not kidding.

I really like this group. I love working with them. But I was very tempted to use Whoopi Goldberg's line from the movie Jumping Jack Flash. She's trying to find a figure out the key to a mystery. She thinks the key may be in the lyrics to the Rolling Stones' song, "Jumping Jack Flash." She's sitting on the floor next to a speaker listening over and over to the lyrics, trying to understand Mick Jagger. At one point she bangs her hand on the floor and yells, "Speak English, Mick!"

5 comments:

rigtenzin said...

I'm not comfortable with the use of the word "meta" either. It's everywhere in the computer science world and I am forced to use it. But I still pause when I use it and think about what an abstract word it is.

I have an alternative to Whoopi's question, "Speak English, Dick!" That wouldn't go over so well in the meeting would it?

Sophzilla said...

Ya, I don't think that would go over as well, seeing as where I work! Now back at the evil empire, that would be talkin' like a school girl!

Eclectchick said...

Ohhh, I loved that line! My friends and I used to use it on each other all the time!

Actually, quite a cute flick and gave me possibly the first true inkling of how sexy an English accent be . . ..

Mrrraow!

Eclectchick said...

Whoa - that post was SO off topic, really. Show's where my mind is (um, nowhere). Guess I'd better get my nose back to the blogstone.

Sophzilla said...

Oh ya, Jack's voice. Niiiiicccceee!