12 July 2006

Tchuess Klinsi!

Juergen Klinsman quit as coach of the German national team. He's going back to California to be with his family. What a disappointment! (Story here.)

I was so impressed with him throughout the WM. Especially after the horribly disappointing loss to Italy in the semifinals. Players were sitting with their heads down. He walked around the field patting them on the back and comforting them.

The Fan Fest in Berlin, after Germany's third place victory, looked like a great event! The players all wore t-shirts (see left) that said Thanks Germany. (Cool photos here.) It certainly seems like the World Cup had an extraordinarily positive effect on the country!

3 comments:

Julia said...

The WM was the best that could happen to this country! You can say that we discovered ourselves. I have never experienced such a good mood throughout the whole country before.
It's sad that Klinsmann is leaving but I can understand his decision. We have a saying: Man soll aufhören, wenn es am schönsten ist.
I'm not sure how to translate that.

Eclectchick said...

Klinsman???? I don't recall that name from the Tour de France roster. What team does he ride on?

hahahaha

Sophzilla said...

Thanks for your notes about the German mood, Julia! I think I know what you mean with the saying. You should go out on top.

I think it's funny that the new coach's nickname is Jogi. It sounds just like Yogi, here. And Yogi is a cartoon bear that lives in a national park. Jogi is much more clever, however!

Oh Eclectchick. So obsessed with those bikers!