01 July 2006

Deutschland schreitet fort! (Germany advances!)

Yesterday's Germany-Argentina game was a real nail biter! Very physical. Lots of yellow cards. I woke up a sleeping Sophzilla several times with my yelling, especially during the penalty kick showdown at the end. She'd wake up and walk over and look at me to see if something was wrong. Jens Lehmann, Germany's goalie, rocked! And poor Michael Ballack had to keep playing, though injured, since Germany had used up its subs. I got to see the anthem part of the game yesterday. I love how the players walked out holding hands with little kids. It was so sweet! What lucky kids!

I can't imagine how fun it would be to be in Germany right now! The frolicking! Julia has photos and commentary on her blog. It's now down to just four teams -- Germany, Italy, Portugal and France. Oh, the tension!

Today I went to Brit's in Minneapolis with Heidi and her sister Lisa. We watched a tense game between England and Portugal up on Brit's roof. We sat on the edge of the lawn bowling yard in the sun. It was hot and lovely. That crazy Wayne Rooney got himself kicked out of the game for stepping on another player. It came down to a penalty kick showdown and England lost. Rats!

Germany plays Italy on Tuesday, July 4. My family always has a picnic at my godparents' house on the 4th of July. I will need to hide away at 2 p.m. in order to watch the game. I look forward to this time with my family but serious times call for serious measures. I hope that Marcelo Balboa (ESPN) won't be doing commentary on Tuesday. He's loud, annoying and the king of the obvious. For example, during overtime: "No one wants to make a mistake right now." Another ESPN sports guy referred to the Ukrainians as the Ukraines. Where do they get these people?

3 comments:

Julia said...

It's great to be in Germany right now! The people are having fun and it's nice to see us germans laugh. You know usually we're profs in moaning. ;) The atmosphere is very relaxed and friendly. And who would have thought that even non-germans would ever wave a german flag!
Allow me a little hint: schreit comes from schreien, schreitet comes from schreiten
But it isn't really wrong because you should have heard us on friday! ;)

Sophzilla said...

Glad you can be laughing and having a good time! Thanks for the correction on my German! I must have been thinking about what I was doing, screaming, rather than what the German team was doing! :)

rigtenzin said...

We watched the Germany-Argentina game in a hotel room on vacation. The kids wanted to leave for our next vacation stop, but we couldn't leave until the match was decided.

I really hate when it comes down to penalty kicks. I watched one of my wife's teams lose their league championships that way and it really hurt. I always relive that memory when I see penalty kicks decide a match. It's a crappy way to lose.