24 July 2006

Laughing at Wal-Mart

Wal-Mart's new site for kids is a bomb. I refer to the store as the Devil's Little Sweatshop. I'm dancing with glee at their misfortune.
From Advertising Age:
Wal-Mart's New Online Children's 'Hub' a Real Bomb
A Poorly Executed Project With Writing That Makes Us Cringe

...If you happen to be an incredibly macho and worldly 51-year-old man, try putting yourself into the head of the many demographic target cohorts to which we, strictly speaking, do not belong. Not only are we not in the bull's-eye -- 18 to 34 years-old -- we're also not a skateboarder/gamer, a soccer mom or, to the best of our knowledge, Japanese...

Is there anything more excruciating than some lametard adult copywriter trying to speak to teenagers in their own language? To see this stuff is to cringe...

In fact, it's totally not well-executed. It's the most not-well-executed ever. The site -- schoolyourway.walmart.com -- is called The Hub. It's a hybrid of an ordinary webpage and a social-networking engine ... a la MySpace.com...

Full story

2 comments:

Eclectchick said...

I like your first sentence. Especially because it contains both of the word Wal-Mart and bomb. I can think of a few ways I'd like to see those words together in a sentence . . .

Sophzilla said...

Oh, I know. Good thing the man can't read my thoughts or I'd be in such trouble.