28 July 2006

Smells and words

I was at a meeting today in a church. A Lutheran church. The restroom smelled the same as every Lutheran restroom I've been in. Kind of like cleaning supplies but with something else. Not stinky. Kind of institutional and particular to churches. Is there a church restroom brand of cleaning products? Do different denominations have variations on a similar smell?

Linguistic fun -- Riechen is the German verb for smell. It's pronounced reek-en and reek in English means stink. And reek, in German, is stinken.

4 comments:

Eclectchick said...

"Do different denominations have variations on a similar smell?"

I think you travel about to different churches to do some research and report back.

You can take Spycam along . . .

rigtenzin said...

I don't like the smell of the interior of churches. Old wood, hymnals, styrofoam wafers, the priest's hair oil, etc.

Sophzilla said...

I'll take the idea for research under consideration.

Anonymous said...

At least it isn't that trendy new cinnamon spray for restrooms, which has ruined Red Hots for me. :P