06 April 2006

That scares me

At last, now you can talk about your phobias in a more concise fashion. The phobia page lists hundreds of them. (Thanks to Wordswoman for the link to the Linguistic Fun page where the phobia list can be found.) Some fun ones:
  • Acousticophobia: Fear of noise
  • Politicophobia: Fear of politicians
  • Pteronophobia: Fear of being tickled by feathers. Fear of feathers
  • Vestiophobia: Fear of clothing
Missing from the list are:
  • Adornophobia: Fear of fringe, pompoms, sequins and or jiggle eyes on clothing or furniture
  • Brassicaoleraceaophobia: Fear of brussels sprouts
  • Cousinlovinophobia: Fear of country music

3 comments:

Eclectchick said...

Snort! "jiggle eyes on clothing or furniture." Jiggle eyes on FURNITURE???? Well, that's how I read it . . .

Anonymous said...

OK, I looked up fear of germs because a co-worker of mine is like that and we’ve just been calling her a germ-o-phobe. Turns out it really is called spermophobia. To me that implies she has a fear of something else all together, but whatever. So then I start scrolling through the phobes just for fun. Technophobia is a fear of arts and crafts. Go figure. It should be a fear of technology, shouldn’t it? None if this is logical. Now I got a fear of phobias. Which, by the way, is called phobophobia – which makes sense. I give up.
JO

Sophzilla said...

LOL! I think germophobia is more accurate. Who knew phobias could be so fun?