14 March 2006

Excuse me, what Jesus might you be speaking of?

Again I'm reminded that as a Christian, I'm lumped in with a lot of people who don't really demonstrate Christ's teachings (massive understatement). Here's a bumper sticker Christopher recently eyed: "Jesus Loves You. Allah Wants You Dead." Huh?

And from the vitriolic Pat Robertson, (via Yahoo):

NORFOLK, Va. - Television evangelist Pat Robertson said Monday on his live news-and-talk program "The 700 Club" that Islam is not a religion of peace, and that radical Muslims are "satanic."

Is he an Islamic scholar? Has he read the Koran? Why does anyone listen to this uninformed, malicious man?

Note to Mr. Robertson: Are you sure you want the Ten Commandments posted everywhere? The 9th one may prove problematic. "You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.” (i.e. don’t lie).

2 comments:

Humble Pie said...

And that, Sophzilla, is the sound of a can of worms opening...so let me get out my soapbox...

So you've identified yourself as a Christian. And you're wondering why so many 'Christians' promote teaching that doesn't conform to Christ's ministry. Start with Church history. Isn't it odd that the Catholic and the Protestant tradition quote creeds? You know, the Nicene creed, the Apostle creed, etc. Think about what they are declaring - Christ was born, suffered, crucified, and rose. NOT A SINGLE WORD ABOUT HIS ACTUAL MINISTRY!! Do you think that HE (Jesus) thought his ACTUAL 3 year message was important? Well. Church history doesn't.

And based on the majority of Pastors that speak Ad Nauseum on about 3 topics - Don't be gay - don't have an abortion - and if you're a Christian you're saved by Grace and everyone else goes to Hell. It is pretty clear why SO MANY "Christians" think it's perfectly alright to HATE 'certain' sinners, to walk by homeless people, to ignore people in hospitals and prisons as they lock themselves up in their safe suburban castles wondering HOW they're going to pay for their new SUV. Anyone hear of the Sermon on the Mount? Gandhi had. MLK had. Mother Theresa Had. Bono has...

Personally - I haven't found a SINGLE word attributed to Jesus that I disagree with. And I have a difficult time calling myself a Christian. I see so many people wearing those little wristbands with the "WWJD" slogan. Frankly - MOST of those people haven't a clue what Jesus DID - so how could they possibly know what Jesus would DO? They should say (for most - not all - of those folks)WWPD. What would Pharisees do!

So now I will get off of my soapbox.

PS - I'm very glad to hear that YOU can see the insanity/hypocrisy in a guy like Robertson. If he were around in 1st Century he certainly would have wanted to assasinate Saul the Christian murderer. And if he had we wouldn't have a New Testament.

Sophzilla said...

I was wondering what that sound was. Just for my own info, is it a flip-top can or do you have to use a can opener? :)

You are well informed! What can I say? I'm not yet willing to give up my faith to the crazies. I'm motivated by a good, long-shot fight. When I get down I like to think of Pat et al, taking tumbles off their nastyboxes!