23 May 2006

What a lovely way to spend an evening

Last night some friends and I went to a benefit for Reuben Lindh Family Services. What a great evening! There were so many fun people there, I managed to leave the silent auction without having to sell my shoes and the concert was fabulous!

Reuben Lindh is a Minneapolis organization that helps families together, honors their cultural contexts and helps many developmentally delayed children using music therapy. Trip Shakespeare played "Toolmaster of Brainerd," which is such a funny, catchy tune (" He came to town on a charter bus; Too young and sweet to be hustling us; He played guitar like a natural disaster; Play on, Toolmaster of Brainerd).

The benefit CD, "Down By the Riverside," a fun and hip take on children's songs, has some of the artists who were on last night -- members of Semisonic, Mason Jennings, Dana Thompson, Dan Wilson. I bought it for a certain someone's birthday this summer. I'm very tempted to open it and listen before then. Check it out here.

2 comments:

rigtenzin said...

I attended this event also and it makes me feel hip. That's just a joke. Do you remember me? I was the guy fuming of gin nearby.

I didn't buy anything at the silent auction. I wonder if they gave the booze away for free or at a severe discount if they'd get much higher bids.

I've heard stories of people buying losts of expensive stuff at silent auctions after drinking too much.

Sophzilla said...

Were you the guy making the lude comments, too? :)