22 May 2006

Joseph Goebbels on PBS

Tonight on PBS' American Experience its The Man Behind Hitler: Joseph Goebbels. Watch a video clip here.
American Experience presents The Man Behind Hitler, a portrait of Joseph Goebbels, delivered in words taken directly from the diaries he kept from 1924, when he joined the Nazi party, until his suicide in 1945, read by actor Kenneth Branagh. Featuring never-before-seen footage, this 90-minute documentary from filmmakers Lutz Hachmeister and Michael Kloft offers an insider's view of the rise of the Nazi party.
Late last year I read a quote from Peter Drucker. He said that to keep his mind growing he chooses a topic every three years and completely dives into it. I decided to do the same. I haven't yet decided, however, whether I'll switch to another topic after this year. I'll have to wait and see.

So, what's my topic this year? Nazis. I'm completely horrifyingly fascinated by their rise to and consolidation of power. Even though I will never understand their mindset, I keep asking the questions.

2 comments:

Julia said...

I will never understand it, too. How was all this possible? Once I was asked what I would have done, then. I don't know. It's easy to say you would have fought against the Nazis when your a.. is safe.
But how courageous would I be if I was hungry and if I knew that I would risk my familys life?
All I know now is that we have to keep our minds and eyes open. The Nazi spirit is still alive.
And here another tip: "Speer und er"
Half documentary half movie about the relationship between Albert Speer and Hitler. In Germany it's available on DVD.
speer

Sophzilla said...

I know what you mean. I look at the photos of my nieces and nephew on my desk and think, "Would I have risked speaking out for them? Or, would I have kept my mouth shut in order to keep them safe for the time being?" You are right, the Nazi spirit is still alive. Thanks for the movie tip Julia! I'll search it out.