04 May 2006

Bullfighting

Lately I've been aware of how many cliches I use, particularly sports cliches. It's rather horrifying. Have I always talked like this? I don't even like sports -- with the exception of hockey and soccer (go ahead and laugh, everyone does).

I found the Mystery Matador this morning while looking for something legitimately work related. This is so cool and, potentially, mean. Not that I'd actually do it. (Sometimes it's fun to just think about being mean.) I used to work at a consulting firm where the documents were full of things like "total quality," "best in class," and a lot of other blah blah phrases that I've miraculously expunged from my mind.

Feel like that document that surfaced in your inbox is taking a lot of time to say not much of anything? Get even. Send the writer an anonymous message from the Mystery Matador.

Copy and paste their letter or any other document text in the box below. Type their email address in the box to the right. Then click the 'Preview' button under the text box. Bullfighter will measure the jargon and verbosity.

Press 'Send' and that person will be sent an email with a link to their score. It's fast, free, simple, anonymous - and could spare the rest of us from receiving any of their awful prose.

You can also save others from your needless yammering by downloading the Bullfighter to your PC.
Bullfighter is the epoch-defining software that works with Microsoft Word and PowerPoint to help you find and eliminate jargon in your documents. It may look like a little toolbar with three buttons, but it's actually much more. Bullfighter includes a jargon database and an exclusive Bull Composite Index calculator that will allow you to see -- in an actual window, on your PC display, live -- just how bad a document can be.
There are also films of idiocy in action! We all know this stupid, stupid man.


3 comments:

Eclectchick said...

Sports jargon? You? I've been missing it . . . be sure to alert me next time you use some so I'm sure to notice. Thanks.

Sophzilla said...

I'll touch base with you about this soon. Maybe it's just a workplace thing.

Eclectchick said...

Could be. Maybe it's workspeak. I know I talk differently in the workplace, i.e., fewer four-letter words. ha!