03 May 2006

Telemarketing calls at work

I am continually amazed at how rude people can be when they're trying to sell you something. I just got a call at work from someone who sells billboard advertising. I didn't want to be rude and say "not interested," like I do at home. So I said it doesn't fit our strategy. (Which it doesn't.) Our target audiences are quite narrow compared to the general population. To this, the jerk responded, "They drive, don't they?" At this point my nicey nice went out the window. I told him that we weren't interested.

This type of conversation has happened to me before. My high, happy voice on the phone must trigger the intimidation reflex. Do they honestly think that they'll get you to buy what they're selling if they belittle you?

4 comments:

rigtenzin said...

You got all up in his face and said, "I'm not interested."

I found a new telemarketer tactic that does not seem childish. I point out to their rude behavior. A guy called for my wife and when I told him she wasn't at home, he said, "Who's this?"

I told him phone conversations don't work that way. Callers need to identify themselves to the people they are calling. He cracked up laughing, then he talked to me person-to-person instead of using his decision tree script methods.

rigtenzin said...

On second thought, the billboard idea is great for laughs. Think of all the kooky billboards for your school. Off the top of my head, a giant photo of you, kinda like all the blasted Rush Limbug ones we have around here lately.

Eclectchick said...

Here at my workplace, we get these weird, velvet-voiced headhunter telemarketer calls. These are highly humorous to me for some reason. The caller will weasel her (yeah, it's always a female) way around what she is really saying: Do you or anyone you know want a way outta that hellhole you call a job?????

I always say no, which is a total lie. But what else can you do when they're calling you at WORK??

Anonymous said...

I like to ask telemarketers if this is their dream job. More than once I heard a loud sigh, followed by what they'd rather be doing. Then I ask if they will be doing the dream job a year from now. Usually they say they hope so.