19 May 2006

Simple Minds (no, not the president)

I am an anglophile about most things, including music. I was in heaven in the 1980s. Some of those bands are, thankfully, still around -- which brings me to Simple Minds. I really liked their music when they hit the States and then totally was totally smitten after I saw them perform at the Happy Birthday Nelson Mandela concert on MTV (Mandela was still in prison at the time).

"Home" has that great Simple Minds sound. It's hypnotic and seems to move throughout your arms and legs. Oh, and Jim Kerr's great voice. I love how he feels the music as he sings. You can see the video, or just listen to the song here.

And the lyrics? Very good. I'm a sucker for well-written, meaningful lyrics -- not the "baby, baby, get in the car" kind. The beginning lyrics to Home:

God gave me travelling shoes,
God gave me the wanderer’s eye,
God gave me a few gold coins
to help me to the other side.
Looked around and said:
“be careful how the small things grow”.
God gave me travelling shoes
and I knew that it was time to go.

Sent in the ship at night
to take me to the hidden port.
Found me the key at last
to open up the prison doors.
Brought down the blackbird’s wings,
gifted me with beggar’s eyes.
Sent in the jackals
to tell me I should say bye, bye, bye.
I’m home, home, home, home, home.
And I’m home, home, home, home, home.
But I’m miles, miles, miles, miles and miles away.
Where can I hide?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Were you part of the contingent that saw U2 in '85 (I'm thinking at Stonehedge or someplace equally cool)? I was such an ignorant fool I said "Who? Playing where?"

But then, you were always the coolest 'zilla in any crowd.

C.

Sophzilla said...

Yes, yes, yes! Milton Keynes, 1985, outside with Billy Bragg and R.E.M. Bliss, man!

Anonymous said...

So it WAS you. Swoon! I've always wondered, did you REALLY make out with Bono that night? ;)

C.

Eclectchick said...

Anglophiles UNITE!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Yes! Yes! "That's What I Call Music" series on vinyl (circa 1985), Boomtown Rats, Eastenders, driving on the left side of the M1, playing darts, hitching lifts from lorrie drivers, and admiring Sophzilla's mid-80s hairstyle (so very, very smashing!)