25 September 2005

The comedians

My brothers are sick and twisted. One of the reasons I love them. Mike is quite the storyteller. For many years he would pose as a pushy telemarketer whenever he called -- furnace cleaner, fundraiser for fringe political candidates, you name it. Just about the time you were about to slam the phone down he would laugh or state what an easy mark you were.

Both of my brothers have no end of fun playing off the place I work -- an organization connected to the church. Mike's voicemails have delighted me and many of my co-workers. ‚An example: “This is Bill from the Coliseum. We need another shipment of Christians for our lions‚’ den. The last bunch you sent us were kind of stringy.‚”

Steve gets no end of joy in asking for Jesus or God when he calls me at work. ‚“Can I speak to God? This is the bank; he’s seriously overdrawn.‚” I told this to a couple of the clergy who work here. One asked, ‚“Did you ever answer, ‚‘Speaking‚’?‚”

"I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me." -- Noel Coward

No comments: