13 October 2006

Smell and memory -- ick

From the Independent-London

Scents of the Seventies return as shoppers splash out on nostaglia

First the music was rehabilitated, then the fashions and recently even the food.

Now 1970s perfumes and aftershaves are making a comeback, as a new generation discovers the somewhat questionable joys of Charlie, Brut and Old Spice.

Sales of so-called "heritage scents" are increasing, particularly among younger customers, according to market research by the high- street chain Superdrug.

Long-forgotten fragrances are being revived as teenagers embrace all things retro in an effort to smell like their parents did three decades ago.
This is quite frightening. If I smell Love’s Baby Soft I will have a nasty flashback. And Old Spice? I hope I don’t have a full stomach. Read the rest of the story.

Reminded me of this Bizarro cartoon.

5 comments:

thomas said...

oh man! i can't tell you how many times i've been "this close" to buying old spice while in target. i have no idea why though. i'm 28 (by FAR not a "younger generation") and just feel so warm and cozy smelling old spice.

*secret*
every time i walk by old spice in target i open a bottle and put some on.
*end secret*

Julia said...

Aaahhh!!!
My father used Old Spice. If I had children and if they wanted to smell like their parents or grand parents I would be deeply worried and would bring them to a psychologist!

rigtenzin said...

If I wanted to smell like my dad, I'd rub on some Ben Gay and pass gass.

Eclectchick said...

"Heritage scents"??? Priceless.

My ***first love*** wore English Leather. Is that, too, a heritage scent?

I don't believe I remember what it smells like. But I probably do - in the way memory and smell are linked inseparably. (getting wiggins now)

Anonymous said...

English Leather? Yikes, I remember a magazine ad with Lady Godiva (long hair modestly covering her) on a horse. The caption read "Wear English Leather or Nothing at All." :p