12 October 2006

Customer service rant

Goofy story from Inc. on the best and worst cities for customer service in the U.S. I wonder who wanted this information. Reminded me of recent bad and good experiences.

Bad
Warners' Stellian -- I'm looking for a small freezer. (der Tiefkuehlschrank in German, literally deep refrigerator.) I stopped at the appliance showroom on Snelling and Larpenteur after work. I wanted to get a freezer. I knew what I wanted, was pretty sure the price was good (and it was). The receptionist, who was on the phone, didn't look up when I walked in (or when I left, for that matter). I couldn't see any salespeople. I looked around and found the freezer area. Finally I snagged a salesperson and asked him a question about the freezer I was considering. He seemed very bothered by the question but answered me and began to walk away. When I asked him about delivery he told me, with disdain, the charge and then walked away. I walked out of the store. I was really tempted to tell the weasel off. "I have several older appliances which I will be replacing. It will not be with you."

Now Sports -- I stopped in after work. It's right next to the dry cleaner so it was a stop of convenience. I wanted to check on a stand that allows you to ride your outdoor bike inside (not around the house). The guy at the counter was on the phone and computer when I walked in. He did not acknowledge my presence. Neither did the two or three other employees. I found the stands but there wasn't any information tacked to them. No specs -- what size bike works, cost, etc. When the guy got off the phone I asked the price; the guy at the counter gave it to me and went back to what he was doing. Since there were no specs I didn't know quite how it would work. I got fed up and walked out.

Good
Macy's -- I went to Macy's the other night after a facial. I was in yoga pants and a hooded sweatshirt (unlike the business dress I was in in the two examples above). I went to the Prescriptives counter to get some under-eye concealer. I wasn't sure on the tint so the salesperson tried them both on me. She didn't rush me, she told me about other specials and was nothing but nice and professional.

After I bought the concealer I went to the purse section. I looked around and finally decided on a happy-birthday-to-me purse. The salesperson was very cheery, talkative and shared a great purse find story.

I don't know how any of these people are compensated but it seems to me that good customer service pays off in the long run, whether you are commissioned or not.

5 comments:

rigtenzin said...

This topic is a real conversation starter. I don't know if customer service has always been spotty or if it's a new development. My impression is that it just gets worse and worse everyday.

I don't even ask for help in most stores, because I know the help I receive will suck. You have to rely on yourself as much as possible. Salespeople are neither. What I mean is that they aren't concerned about sales and they aren't people either.

Julia said...

And I thought that we were living in a service Wueste (service desert) how Germany is often called.
But I guess it's the same everywhere.

Eclectchick said...

That is extremely odd.

It would have been really fun to do this as a matching game - which customer service goes with which store.

And Rig is sooo right. Everyone loves to compare customer service horror stories - AND happy stories. When I called Verizon to tell them I was going to "quit them," the rep was soooooo nice I actually felt a microscopic twinge of hmmmm, maybe I should stay. But it was only temporary. HA!

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised at your Warner Stellian experience; we recently bought a new range and refrigerator there (at the same store) and the saleswoman (Mary?) was very attentive and helpful. Delivery was another story; we only got part of our order on the delivery date, but the store manager was very apologetic and got the problem corrected quickly. I'd definitely buy from them again.
Bill

Anonymous said...

Must say I was also surprised to read about your Warners Stellian experience. I design kitchens for a living and I send all my clients to them. In over five years I've heard only a couple of mild complaints and both were quickly resolved by the store manager. I feel very confident sending people to them.