26 October 2006

Kids and dogs

My cousin Joni sent me an e-mail about this offering at the Great River Library in St. Cloud.
Thursday, Oct. 26 , 6:30-8:00 pm
Desiree and Tiffany are certified Reading Education Assistance Dogs and love to sit and listen to books. Registration for 15 minute sessions begins October 18. Ages 5 and up.
That is the sweetest thing ever! Here's a bit more about the Reading Education Assistance Dogs.
The mission of the R.E.A.D. program is to improve the literacy skills of children through the assistance of registered Pet Partner® therapy teams as literacy mentors.

The Reading Education Assistance Dogs® (R.E.A.D.) program improves children’s reading and communication skills by employing a powerful method: reading to a dog. But not just any dog. R.E.A.D. dogs are registered therapy animals who volunteer with their owner/handlers as a team, going to schools, libraries and many other settings as reading companions for children.

And a short testimonial from the R.E.A.D. site:
Catherine and her Boston Terrier, Chato, who participate in the R.E.A.D.® program at the Midvale Boys' and Girls' Club, understand just how convinced most children are that the dogs they read to listen and absorb what they are hearing. One second grader informed them, "I really scared that big black dog the other day!" When asked how, he replied, "I read him a ghost story!"

3 comments:

rigtenzin said...

It sounds like a nice program. I really enjoy watching kids "get it" with reading. It reminds me of staying up too late reading books I checked out from the school library.

Eclectchick said...

Simply wonderful.

I wish there was video at the links. I would dearly love to see that.

(Word verification: gssisata. That was fun)

Sophzilla said...

Reading is just so wonderful. I love that my oldest niece and nephew love reading. And now more than ever there are lots of good things for them to read, especially for boys!