05 October 2006

Kids on the phone

Today I called my nephew to thank him for the sweet note he sent me. (He's 6 and I had sent him some things for school.) After we had chatted awhile his phone started making a funny noise. Cale said the battery was going to run out so we had to stop talking. I told him I'd call him in a day or so to check on his knee. This followed:

Cale: Tomorrow?
Me: OK, I'll call you tomorrow.
Cale: Call at 3:30.
Me: Is that when you get home from school?
Cale: I think so. But if I'm not home you can call my Mom and get the number to the school and you can call me there. They'll get on the intercom.
Me: I hate to bother you at school. I know you're really busy.
Cale: It's OK, they use the intercom all the time.

2 comments:

~moe~ said...

It's true, they do use that intercom all the time!

rigtenzin said...

That's a great dialog. Kids are wonderful. I think I'll get some for myself.

This morning, we had a teacher conference and while waiting, someone used the intercom. She was not used to talking on the intercom. She told the faculty about some snacks in the teachers' lounge and her voice told me she was very uncomfortable. She reminded me of the intercom voice on the MASH movie. That is all.