21 September 2006

Music and memory

I've been really enjoying Semisonic. Particularly the CD, All About Chemistry. It's quite a shame that it took me so long to listen to this band. For years, this and other local bands gave me the shivers, and not in a good way. That's because I used to date someone who was really into local bands. I do not have many good memories of him so for years, the black cloud that hung over his head also hung over Semisonic and any other local band. Then this summer at the Reuben Lindh benefit I heard Semisonic play live. Past expunged!

That being said, most of my music memories are good. For example, Red, Red Wine by UB40 always makes me smile. For a long time I only knew that line from the song. A friend used to walk around quoting the line "Red, red wine makes me feel so fine," along with "is there gas in the car," from some song by Steely Dan.

Shout by Tears for Fears always makes me laugh. Jude and I used to sing that as if we were in a women's church choir -- over enunciating all of the words, leaving no feeling or style in the song. Guess you had to be there.

7 comments:

rigtenzin said...

Great topic. Songs that suck because of who they remind you of -- not because they really suck.

I don't like listening to Phil Collins. I was looking for my girlfriend at a high school party and found her smooching with my one of my best friends while "In the Air Tonight" loudly played.

Kid Charlemagne

Sophzilla said...

But some singers should be loathed on principle. Like Neil Diamond and Britney Spears.

Eclectchick said...

I have to agree on the "loathing on principle" thing. Same applies to authors (and you know what I mean).

I enjoying amusing myself by singing Rolling Stones songs in an operatic tone.

I'm a dork.

rigtenzin said...

Try singing "Bad to the Bone" by George Thorogood in the operatic tone. It's one of those things I do that no one thinks is funny, except me. I'm laughing now.

Hey, take that back about Neil.

Eclectchick said...

Rig - you're scaring me. I HAVE sung Bad to the Bone in an operatic tone (hey, that rhymes!)

Neil, schmeil.

"Turn on your heartliiiiiiight, let it shine wherever you goooooo."

Sophzilla said...

I've never thought of singing in an operatic tone. I'll try that. I sometimes try to copy David Sedaris and sing songs like Billie Holiday. I can't think of "Bad to the Bone" in an operatic tone. Now I have something to think about this afternoon.

Sheri said...

I've been known to sing "Like a Virgin" ala Ethel Merman. Scary, I know.