16 September 2006

It is fall

I love fall. I love the crisp air, warm days and cool nights. There are so many good smells, too. Wood burning in fireplaces, bonfires, that musty wet leaf smell. And the colors are breathtaking. A huge nature palette.

But the sun going down so early is really confusing me. Like now, for instance. It's dark. I thought, "It must be 10, 11 p.m. I should get to bed." No. It's 8:30 p.m. (It doesn't help that for the last few days, in my nasty sinus episode, my sleep/wake cycle has mimicked Sophie's.)

I do admit that the night we set the clocks back an hour -- an extra hour of sleep, free! -- is one of the best nights of the year. But I do feel a sense of coming doom with the waning hours of sunshine. As old as I am, I still find it hard to go to work when it's just getting light and coming home in the dark. On the other hand, it is a much cozier time of year. And I am all about the coziness.

5 comments:

Julia said...

I share your feelings about fall. Although at the end of the winter I can hardly await spring.
What is really hard about fall and winter that it's still dark when I go to work and dark again when I come home. And I hardly see the daylight in between.
I don't mind if it's getting colder but the cold is hard to stand when it's raining.
Oh wow, now I'm getting depressive remembering seeing the christmas sweets in the shops yesterday.

Eclectchick said...

Fall is my favorite time of the year!

No wait, spring is.

Oh wait a second, no, fall is.

Well, actually spring.

(I could go on like this for days.)

Sheri said...

I like the smell, too. I walk outside, take a deep breath and say "It smells like death" because, of course, it's the smell of dying leaves we like so much. Yeah, I'm weird.

Eclectchick said...

Death is quite an appropriate theme at this time of year. The Celtic calendar soon will be celebrating Samhain:

To the Celts, time was circular rather than linear. This is reflected in their commencing each day, and each festival, at dusk rather than dawn, a custom comparable with that of the Jewish Sabbath. It is also reflected in their year beginning with the festival of Samhain on 31 October, when nature appears to be dying down. Tellingly, the first month of the Celtic year is Samonios, ‘Seed Fall’: in other words, from death and darkness springs life and light.

Sophzilla said...

We don't have the Christmas sweets, yet. We have Halloween at the end of October so that's all over the shops now. I think the shops spoil Christmas by putting the items out so soon. It was more fun when you knew you didn't have three or more months to buy the Christmas things!