13 September 2006

Erster Schultag, first day of school

Today is the first day of school in Bayern (Bavaria). I love the tradition of the Schultuete. Kids entering the first year of compulsory education get a cone-shaped bag, usually from their parents, filled with sweets and other little trinkets (see photo). You can buy them or make them yourself. There are lots of places online where you can learn to make the most elaborate Tueten.

My niece Tori started second grade this fall and my nephew Cale started first grade. I didn't even think of making Schultueten for them but I did send some fun school supplies. I'll do this next year for them even though, in theory, they will be a bit too old. I'm sure they won't mind!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

great to see this. my son just started kindergarten at the German Immersion School in St. Paul and we made him a Shultuete and stuffed it full of plastic bugs.

Sophzilla said...

What a great Dad you are! Bugs! And the German Immersion School. What fun!