07 September 2006

The Coffee Office

The Coffee Office via Springwise.
Based in Windsor, Ontario, The Coffee Office was founded to offer business professionals everything they need to stay productive outside a traditional office, in what trendwatching.com calls a being space. A café section is open to everyone, and like the rest of the building, offers free high-speed wireless internet and plenty of power points.
What a great concept! Developed by those clever Canadians. Oh when is one coming to Minneapolis/St. Paul? Imagine, a place where you can get your work done, in quiet, in a comfy chair and with a lovely coffee by your side? Check out the photo montage on the site. The comfy chairs with lapdesks and coffee-cup holders are gorgeous.
BEING SPACES: commercial living-room-like settings, where catering and entertainment aren't just the main attraction, but are there to facilitate small office/living room activities like watching a movie, reading a book, meeting friends and colleagues, or doing your admin.

Starbucks is a great example on a global scale, while many companies in Japan, China and South-Korea offer deluxe gaming and manga-reading facilities, as well as semi-private DVD booths.

BEING SPACES charge us for eating, drinking, playing, listening, surfing, working, or meeting, just as we would at home or in the office, while successfully reintegrating us into city life.

5 comments:

rigtenzin said...

I'd love to work someplace that didn't include my coworkers who constantly interupt my tiny choo-choo train of thought.

Sophzilla said...

Wouldn't that be grand! Most days I love my co-workers but other days I put on my earbuds and crank the music to drown out their noise. The coffee smell would be nice, too.

Eclectchick said...

My workplace is cruel and inhumane - no headphones, earbuds, etc., allowed. :-(

rigtenzin said...

I wear some big Sony headphones that should say, "Leave me alone unless you have something important."

Nevertheless, I get a tap on the shoulder, "Hey, how's it going?"

But at least I can wear them.

Sophzilla said...

Have you tried growling at people when they disturb you?