28 August 2006

State Fair!

I don't plan to go to the Minnesota State Fair this year, but I love to hear about the new and odd findings. The State Fair is a huge deal. There are often 100,000+ visitors each day. When I go I love to look in the creative activities building -- full of jams, cakes, quilts, etc., all homemade, at the animals -- mostly the cows, horses, sheep and pigs (I always hold out hope for piglets), and of course, the pet center where you can see all sorts of different dogs and where once I watched a dog being spayed.

Food is a big part of the Fair and there's often a new food-on-a-stick each year. This year it's hotdish, tater tot hotdish to be exact, with a creamy mushroom dipping sauce. I wonder if it has peas in it. I don't like peas in hotdish.

Check out Sheriboo's fabulous post, with photos!, on her Fair experience.

7 comments:

Eclectchick said...

Funny - I don't like hotdish in my peas.

rigtenzin said...

We're going this Friday and I'll have something to say then. In the meantime all you hotdish cookers should buy a cookbook and avoid hotdish unless it's at the church potluck. I'm sorry if that's a little harsh, but some of the worst food outside of a buffet is in casserole containers and labeled as hotdish.

Sophzilla said...

Ooooh, hotdish fight! Actually, didn't someone just die from ecoli from a church potluck? So better trust just your Mom on the hotdish front. Or my Mom.

rigtenzin said...

More on hotdish. Ha ha. Say that really quickly -- MoronHotdish.

I love to listen to native Minnesotans seriously discuss their favorite hotdish recipes. They have no idea how much laughter is going on inside me while I politely smile and listen.

Sophzilla said...

Are you really anti hotdish? Maybe it's growing up here. For me, hotdish can be real comfort food. But some hotdish is incredibly foul. Moronhotdish, now that's good. I think that's what I'll call gross hotdish from now on. Like that tuna noodle stuff with peas and smashed up potato chips on top. Shudder.

rigtenzin said...

... tuna noodle stuff with peas and smashed up potato chips ...

That's enough! Jeez, do you want me to vomit right here?

Sophzilla said...

Yes.