04 August 2006

Left Below

I received an e-mail today advertising a Webinar, "Top 10 New Technologies for Internal Communicators." The vendor shall remain unnamed. It was typical hype but it closed in an obvious-to-anyone-who-can-read scare tactic.
Other leading companies are already using these technologies. Can you afford to be left behind?
Slimy on several levels. They're advertising to communicators. People schooled in messaging. Ergo, they should read right through this frightfully lame attempt to get them to register out of fear.

On the up side, it led me to remember the Left Below edisode of the Simpsons. It makes fun of the rapture rants in the Left Behind books and includes these classic lines:
  • [Homer walking around, ringing a bell and yelling] It's the end of the world. God loves you! He's going to kill you!
  • [At the end of their interview, newsman Kent Brockman to Homer] Well we have 30 seconds left. Any other cuckoo yip yap?
  • Marge: Homie, I'm glad you're getting exercise. I just wish it wasn't crazy exercise.
    Homer: Marge, in a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly insane.
  • Mo: I'm going to steal God's secrets and sell them to satan.
I still think the e-mail was slimy.

2 comments:

rigtenzin said...

Was this email targeted at people in your particular line of internal communications? I mean, you know, the Godly educator kind? Or was it directed at any internal communicator regardless of churchliness?

Sophzilla said...

It was directed at corporate schmucks, regardless of godli- or churchliness. I've never used "churchliness" before. I like it!