26 August 2006

Arboretum

Last month I went to the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum, and though it was as hot as Hades, I had a lovely time. This summer's special is the Secret Garden Exhibition. Different artists developed secret places throughout the gardens. Some are quite whimsical and others are just plain odd!

These bushes reminded me of the hydrangea that were at my Grandma and Grandpa's house.
Two of the secret gardens. The one on the left looks like it's sculpted out of ice. A very interesting juxtaposition since the day was hot and humid. The one at right looked like an igloo. It was huge.










I love these chairs made of shrubs!




The Arboretum is quite a treasure. There are over 1,000 acres of gardens, including a brilliant hosta glade. It's run by the University of Minnesota and does a heap of horticultural research, including developing some new breeds of apples. A new maze garden will open next year.

2 comments:

Eclectchick said...

Nice pics! We, too, had a wonderful visit to the Secret Gardens last weekend. I especially liked the miniature gardens on pedestals.

I see you included the "Lawn Furniture." I had a barely controllable urge to climb on them. Where was the sod remote?

Sophzilla said...

Thanks EclectChick! The chairs were the perfect size for a person and a dog or two.