11 October 2005

Nature or nurture?


I talked to my brother JoJo last week. His son, Cale, is in kindergarten this year. He's a bright, funny and sweet kid. He also has our family's loony gene. My brother and sister-in-law get a call a week from my nephew's teacher. It's always something different. As my brother says, it's like an onion -- layers of misbehavior and it's a mighty big onion. If they weren't strict I'm sure he'd already be in juvie.

Every aunt thinks her nephew or niece is the funniest thing ever but I've told these stories to co-workers and they laughed. (Real laughs, not the pity kind.)

Some examples:
  • Calling people chickens.
  • Refusing to raise his hand and simply blurting out answers to questions.
  • Yelling, "but does it go to the moon and back?" when other kids displayed their show-and-tell items.
  • Refusing to participate in a numbers learning lesson. When asked about this he said, "I already know my numbers."
  • After being caught wrestling in class, but before he got a reprimand from the teacher, "I'm sorry Mrs. K. I'll do better tomorrow."
  • Yelling "Woo hoo!" and running out of the classroom when the bell rang.
Church is not spared. During a recent children's sermon kids were yelling out answers to the pastor's questions. He turned to her and, with righteous indignation, said "You know, they should be raising their hands." He was sitting right next to her so her microphone picked up his comment and broadcast it to the congregation.

No comments: