14 December 2006

Wednesday Word (Lieblingswort zum Mittwoch)

I meant to do this yesterday so I'm using Wednesday (Mittwoch) even though it's Thursday (Donnerstag).
  • A favorite German word is "der Schluckauf*". It means hiccups. It really sounds like what it is.
  • A favorite English word is "lurch," as in "I hate to leave you in the lurch." The other day I was going to use "in the lurch" in an e-mail. It sounded weird so I looked up an alternative and found the definition, "in a vulnerable and unsupported position." I decided to stick with "lurch."
*Pronounced shlook (rhymes with look) owf (rhymes with the first half of "ow" as in the exclamation when you smack your shin into a coffee table.

2 comments:

Julia said...

I like the english word "wacko". I always imagine a parakeet saying wacko, wacko, wacko...
There's a german noun "Lurch" which is an amphibian.

Sophzilla said...

Oh I love the word "wacko." I often use it in reference to George W. Bush. I just love the way some words in German and English are the same but mean radically different things! Another such word is gift or Gift.