11 December 2006

Rest in peace?

I'm having a hard time not celebrating the death of Augusto Pinochet. I wrote so many letters to him in the '80s and '90s (I'm in Amnesty International). Disappearances, murders, torture. He condoned and promoted it all.

I learned of his arrest, in London, in an elevator in Boston. I saw the cover of the New York Times lying on a luggage cart and nearly jumped for joy. Finally, justice would be served. But it wasn't. He was sick and frail but that's no excuse for not being punished for his evil deeds.

I believe that forgiveness is a good thing but he was responsible for thousands of confirmed deaths. After he overthrew Salvador Allende, the elected president, in a CIA-backed coup he began killing anyone who opposed him, or anyone he suspected of opposing him. I have a hard time not wishing that he burn for all eternity.

Description of the photo at right from the BBC:
A 1996 report blamed the regime for more than 3,000 confirmed deaths and disappearances, and later another report documented claims of torture by nearly 30,000 people. Mass graves continue to be found. Here, years later, a woman kisses the recently identified skull of her brother.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The war against communism and hunger in Chile left aproximately 3000 dead.
US war versus terrorism, how many?
Consider facts within context, please.

rigtenzin said...

I don't understand your comment Nicole. Are you saying that Sophzilla should not condemn pinochet, because the US war on terrorisim is worse than his actions?