04 December 2006

Christmas music

Over the weekend I loaded my Christmas CDs onto my iPod. (Weihnachtslieder in German. I love that word!) Once Dec. 1 hits I feel it's allowable. I have several CDs but one of my favorites is still a Christmas compilation I received from my friend Steph in 1999.

Some of my favorites this year: What Are You Doing New Year's Eve, The Secret of Christmas (has to be the Ella Fitzgerald version), Baby It's Cold Outside (I try to ignore the sometimes lecherous tone of the male voice), Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, In the Bleak Midwinter and Koppangen (in Swedish, which I don't understand but beautifully sung by Ann Sofie von Otter).

Thanks to Julia I have a new favorite -- Goetz Alsmann's version of Lasst uns froh und munter sein. He sings swingy Christmas songs. I've loved this song for years and now I can sing it all loungy as I go about the house.

7 comments:

Julia said...

I have a double cd with christmas songs sung by Frank Sinatra, Rosemary Clooney and many others. I really love that one.
But my all christmas favourite is Stille Nacht, heilige Nacht (Holy Night, Silent Night)
Oh, I'd really like to hear you sing!

rigtenzin said...

One of my recent favorites is "Daddy don't drink our Christmas," by Trailer Trash. I'm serious, we've gone to their xmas show a couple years in a row now. It's very fun. I have their xmas CD.

Sophzilla said...

Julia -- I just love the oldies like Frank and Ella. They had so much style! You won't find me singing in a band any time soon! :) I sing fine but at home I sing all lounge singer.

Rigtenzin -- Somehow I'm not surprised. I would like to hear that "Daddy don't drink" song. It's not like that "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer" song, is it? That's so annoying and backwoodsy!

Sophzilla said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
rigtenzin said...

It's rockabilly or alt-country. Those are descriptions the band uses themselves. It's not a cutesy song, though, it's pretty sad to listen to unless you wrap yourself in a sick-humor blanket.

Sophzilla said...

I have several sick humor blankets and use them often! I made them myself!

Eclectchick said...

My favorite X-mas music is that covered by the Big Bands. Now THAT is X-mas music I can stand listening to!

Oh, and of course the forever wonderful classic, Fred Waring and the Pennslvanians album. FABULOUS!

The Charlie Brown soundtrack is quite lovely, but always leaves me feeling blue . . .