20 February 2007

Morrissey

My friend Janna introduced me to The Smiths in college. I used the word "hooligan" a lot. She had a Smiths CD with "Sweet and Tender Hooligan" on it and so she brought me a copy. I've been hooked ever since. (Previous post with link to a muzak version of "Panic.")

I've been re-enjoying Morrissey (The Smiths gone solo) lately. The lyrics are morose and often brutal; nonetheless, I enjoy singing them, loud, around the house and in the car.
If a doubledecker bus, crashes into us
To die by your side is such a heavenly way to die
And if a ten-ton truck kills the both of us
To die by your side, the pleasure, privilege is mine
--There Is a Light That Never Goes Out

Sweetness, I was only joking when I said
'I'd like to smash every tooth in your head.'
Sweetness, I was only joking when I said
'By rights you should be bludgeoned in your bed.'
--Bigmouth Strikes Again
My brother Mike hates, hates, hates The Smiths. I listened to them on the flight out to his wedding so I had Bigmouth in my mind all weekend. One of his groomsmen also liked the Smiths and we had no end of fun thinking about how we could anger him by getting the dance DJ to play a Smiths song.

On another brother and music note, in the '80s I really liked the Thompson Twins. My brother Steve came in the room when I was watching them on MTV. Unsolicited, he said, "I hate the Thompson Twins." He said it with so much venom. I wonder what that was about.

No comments: