24 February 2007

It's worse than I thought

Imperial Life in the Emerald City by Rajiv Chandrasekeran details life in the Green Zone in Baghdad and what a horrific job Americans are doing rebuilding Iraq. It is fascinating and horrifying, kind of like reading about fascism. (I am not insinuating that the occupation is fascist. Just inept.)

As I read this book I find it a near miracle that things haven't gone worse. Bush cronies and big contributors to the Republican party get jobs rebuilding Iraq. Unfortunately, they are in no way qualified for these jobs. Many of them, prior to arriving in Iraq haven't even had a passport. Applicants are screened not on their experience and knowledge, or even whether they know any Arabic, but on their allegiance to the Republican party, particularly Bush, and their views on abortion.

As I read this book and listen to the news, I feel like I'm living in the novel 1984.

No comments: