28 January 2007

Rants against the cubicle

I saw "Stranger than Fiction" with EclectChick a couple of weeks ago. It was a great film! If you're scared of Will Farrell, don't be. He's excellent with just a touch of silly. The whole cast is excellent!

In the film I heard of a new-to-me disease: cubicle fever. This good definition of its cousin, cabin fever was found in Wikipedia:
Cabin fever is a condition that produces restlessness and irritability caused from being in a confined space. The term possibly originated in the United States at the time when settlers would be snowed in to their log cabins and had to wait for the spring thaw in order to travel to town.
Confined space, restlessness and irritability? Yes. I would add to that constant interruptions and noise that prevents creativity. (See ode to cubicle.)

Don't get me wrong. I really like my work and my co-workers. But is horrifying how inadvertently unproductive I am many days. My job requires concentration and creativity. That's fairly impossible in a cube, even with headphones. A door. My world for a door! To me, a door doesn't equal status. Instead I look longingly at doors and think, "Wow! I bet you are cranking out the work! Lucky you!" When I work at home I can get a whole day's worth of cube work done in a few hours.

Cubedoor offers a privacy curtain as well as white papers such "Little Interruptions Can Steal Away Whole Day" and "The Effects of Task Interruption." I have a tension rod for my cube curtain and need to get myself to the fabric store. Productivity awaits!

Lastly, for those of us stuck in cubes, the Lego-like cubicle figures at The Cube offer comic relief.

3 comments:

rigtenzin said...

When I work at home, some people ask, "How do you get anything done at home with all the distractions?"

I answer, "Is that supposed to be irony, Mister?"

However, the people I work with are all pretty funny and I enjoy the gab as much as anyone.

Eclectchick said...

I think a pink Cubedoor would be a good choice for you.

snigger

When I was a kid, I put a sign on my bedroom door that said, "I'm not sleeping. I'm thinking with my eyes closed." You should post that on your pink Cubedoor.

~moe~ said...

My kingdom for a door!

I'm sorry, but I finally have a door. It's funny though...i never shut it. But the option is there. It's so nice. I hope someday you can have a door. Maybe with all the changes a-happenin' you'll get one. Crossing my fingers for you!