06 January 2007

5 things, endlich (finally)

EclectChick has been bugging me since before Christmas about posting five little-known things about me (see her list). I can only think of four. Maybe I'm just boring?

1. For the first 1.5 years at university I was a member of the College Republicans. Sometimes my friend Christopher, at gatherings where there are primarily liberals, says in a conspiratorial tone of voice, says "Guess what Sophzilla used to be?" Followed by one of the looks that seems to say 'It's pretty juicy.' He then reveals the secret.

This all changed when I studied in England. Living somewhere else -- looking at the U.S. from the outside, seeing more of the world -- changed my mind. That was quite a few years ago. I can't imagine what the view looks like now. Shudder.

2. In high school and college I was a wallflower. Actually, this was true until quite recently! This is hard for some to believe since I'm not at all shy with my friends. And, I seem to get on well with most people. An example. In my first year at high school I had several acquaintances and one particularly good friend. Her grandpa died and so she was away from school for a few days. I still remember how horrible that time was. Because I was so terribly shy I was even more alone than normal in the gigantic crowd that was my high school. I really, really hated high school.

3. Sometimes I watch the Hallmark Hall of Fame or Hallmark Channel movies and get all choked up. I am particularly prone to this during the Christmas season. This is very embarrassing to admit since most of their movies are schlocky, saccharine and or formulaic.

4. I couldn't think of a fourth thing until I looked at EclectChick's list again. Wine gums. I love, love, love them. They're not so easy to find in the U.S. as in England. Haribo's Roulette are similarly delicious and come in a much-better-for-the-stomach-sized packet.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't mention wine jellies without a link to the disgusting english candy drill:
http://www.olemichaelsen.dk/gravity.html

After that visit he wrote home to Nalline: "The English are kind of weird when it comes to the way things taste, Mom. They aren't like us. It might be the climate. They go for things we would never dream of. Sometimes it is enough to turn your stomach, boy. The other day I had had one of these things they call 'wine jellies.' That's their idea of candy, Mom! Figure out a way to feed some to that Hitler 'n' I betcha the war'd be over tomorrow!" Now once again he finds himself checking out these ruddy gelatin objects, nodding, he hopes amiably, at Mrs. Quoad. They have the names of different wines written on them in bas-relief.

"Just a touch of menthol too," Mrs. Quoad popping one into her mouth. "Delicious."

Slothrop finally chooses one that says Lafitte Rothschild and stuffs it on into his kisser. "Oh yeah. Yeah. Mmm. It's great."

"If you really want something peculiar try the Bernkastler Doktor.

Eclectchick said...

Oh, man! So worth waiting for!!!

Cannot BELIEVE you fessed up to #1!!! Would you like me to pull a Tonya Harding on Christopher for you?

As for the Hallmark Channel . . . I have no words.

HAHAHA - I'll keep waiting for #5. There's GOT to be something!

Sophzilla said...

Tim, this is fabulous! Thank you for the reference. Have you had Turkish Delight? Shudder. It's awful, awful. It reminds me of the Monty Python candy shop sketch. The various, horrible, offerings includes anthrax ripple.