15 January 2007

MLK Day

Martin Luther King, Jr. would have been 77 today. I forget that he was so young when he died. Like Dietrich Bonhoeffer, he was killed at 39. Both of them pushed in areas that made others uncomfortable. They inspire me and also make me feel like I'm not doing a blasted thing to make the world a better place.

I've blogged before about Martin Luther King, Jr. and his sermons. I love that he kept fighting. Fighting for what he believed in while walking onto thinner and thinner ice, moving from fighting racism to poverty and the Vietnam War. Like other prophets, he said things people needed but didn't want to hear.

This King quote has been rattling around in my brain over the past couple of days.
The moral arc of the universe is long, but it bends toward justice.
If you want to get goosebumps, listen to King's speech at the March on Washington, "I Have a Dream."

No comments: