19 November 2006

Pushing the mind

I read about a person who travels a lot who, in an effort to keep pushing his mind, picks up a magazine at the airport news agent before each flight. What makes this interesting, however, is that he picks up a magazine that he would never think of reading. We all gravitate to what we like and understand. And there are things that we have no interest in. His argument is that by reading things he'd never think of reading, he pushes his mind in new directions and often gets ideas that would have likely never surfaced.

I really like this idea. Yesterday at the library I picked up an assortment of such magazines. I couldn't yet get myself to pick up Road and Track or Motor Trend. My list:
  • Kiplinger's -- eyes glaze over. Involves math, shudder.
  • Backpacker -- about backpacking, hiking and camping. I hate camping.
  • Discover -- about science, technology and the future. I quickly glaze over and find so much of it uninteresting. I do find some easy-to-understand stuff interesting.
  • Scientific American -- see above.
  • Dog Fancy -- I love dogs but this magazine always struck me, due to the use of the word "fancy," as too foo-foo, too "let's put the dog in clothes!"
But first, I need to go through the pile of paper on my desk.

2 comments:

rigtenzin said...

I get this type of fun each week when the local Catholic newspaper arrives in my mailbox.

Sophzilla said...

That's funny!