15 March 2007

You have that right!

I saw this on a person's e-mail signature. Yes! Yes! Yes!
Is there anything more excruciating than some lametard adult copywriter trying to speak to teenagers in their own language? -- Bob Garfield, Advertising Age
I used to team-teach Sunday School with a middle-aged guy who would walk into the room and address junior high students as "dude."
And that wasn't the end of the painful display. Shudders ran through the room. They'd look at me with that dead-eyed, "Please, get me out of here or I will die" look. On days when I taught alone, the kids would beg, "Will you teach next week?" at the end of the session. I think it had much more to do with their loathing of the other teacher than their affection for me!

Back to Bob Garfield. If you're a media geek you can hear Bob Garfield each week on "On the Media" on public radio (a media analysis show). Beware, the theme music is incredibly grating. Once you get past that, it's usually quite good. On one of the recent shows there is a discussion of Louis Farrakhan and his farewell speech. In it he called for reconciliation and piece. Huh? Did he go on the Hajj? That's what changed Malcolm X.

I'm just realizing that this blog is turning into, "What I heard on public radio." I guess that's not too off the mark since I'm all about the public radio. On weekends I can tell the time by what's on MPR.

6 comments:

Eclectchick said...

"On weekends I can tell the time by what's on MPR."

Ha!! Except for LAST weekend!!

Sophzilla said...

Ha ha ha! You will use that for years, won't you!

rigtenzin said...

I can imagine the look of disgust you had when your fellow teacher called the kids dude. One of your eyelids flutters as if you just tasted poop.

It's darned funny you see you do that.

rigtenzin said...

I meant to say in my last comment, "It's darned funny to see you do that." I had the typos under control, but they're back.

Sophzilla said...

I've never had an adequate way to describe the look of disgust. It's perfect! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

The opening theme of OTM by NPR is one of the best in radio ever! Classic tune such as the one of The Simpsons.